Skip to main content

Sam's shower

Sam Mehta's shower is one of the most wonderful gizmos I've come across. Well,
how I ended up under Sam's shower is a long story and it's got to do with
addiction to football and food. Anyway, when you look at it for the first
time, it looks like something built out of spare hardware left over from some
plumbing job in the seventees. To put it simply, its a shower combined with a
water heater and perhaps the most efficient way of heating water for a bath.
Only water that you use for the bath gets heated, so there is no wastage of
electricity. Invariable in all modern geyzers and boilers, you heat up more
water than you use. And unless you have spent a fortune in insulation of the
boiler and the piping, the rest of the heated water becomes cold and power is
wasted.
Hats off to Sam ... or rather his shower.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Affine Transform

Affine Transform The affine transform is quite simply, a piece of art. Usually when you have a linear system with 2 dimensions,
An 'eye opener' Let's say that you are teaching a class. Let's say that you are teaching Unix. You have drawn a neat sketch of the inode-wise layout of the disk and you are explaining the concept of the hierarchical filesystem and directories and inodes and hard and soft links with the help of your neat diagram. Suddenly you discover that one of the students is not getting the whole picture ... because he can't see ... *because he is blind*. At that moment I didn't really feel the impact because I was too engrossed in the subject, too engrossed in teaching. But the whole thing really hit me hard on the bus ride home. A thousand questions were raised, not many answered. First, about teaching - in such a situation, do you teach for the lowest denominator or the higher one. Doing anything is going to unfair to the other category. But in this case, the whole problem is magnified to a huge extent. I obviously cannot rely so much on gr...

Dumb and dumber

I think I gave myself the proof that my dumbness is unparalleled. There are two independent queues in our canteen for getting food coupons. After waiting in the first queue, for some reason, I decided to spend another fifteen minutes in the second one. I realised my stupid mistake when I reached the counter and the lady asked me what I wanted. I said 'nothing' and proceeded to the food counter, leaving the lady wondering what the hell had just happened. It going to be difficult to beat this act of stupidity!