Of late, I've got tired of answering the question "Where are your
specs". Now I hope to just point to this URL.
For the impatient, I broke it. In an accident. On my bike.
For those who care more about me than my specs, I am perfectly fine and
got away with a few scratches on the ankle. I was saved by the helmet
when my head hit the road though.
It's not my fault. It was raining (and now is certainly not the time for
the rains) and the bike skidded when I braked. I let go of the bike and
it ended a good 20 feet in front of me when everything came to a
standstill. The bike suffered more damage than I did. The right mirror
and the left fron indicator are broken (I know, wierd combination).
But I'm alive and kicking (not the bucket). Hope to do some kicking
over the weekend. Hope junta turns up at Univ United.
An 'eye opener'
Let's say that you are teaching a class. Let's say that you are teaching Unix.
You have drawn a neat sketch of the inode-wise layout of the disk and you are
explaining the concept of the hierarchical filesystem and directories and
inodes and hard and soft links with the help of your neat diagram. Suddenly
you discover that one of the students is not getting the whole picture ...
because he can't see ... *because he is blind*.
At that moment I didn't really feel the impact because I was too engrossed in
the subject, too engrossed in teaching. But the whole thing really hit me
hard on the bus ride home. A thousand questions were raised, not many
answered.
First, about teaching - in such a situation, do you teach for the lowest
denominator or the higher one. Doing anything is going to unfair to the other
category. But in this case, the whole problem is magnified to a huge extent.
I obviously cannot rely so much on gr...
Comments