I was wandering around on Lakshmi road on Saturday on the hot afternoon sun
looking for a particular set of headphones. The amount of specialisation you
find there is amazing. In one lane you have shops selling electric cables and
nothing but electric cables. Then there is another lane in which you get
audio equipment, but only electronic equipment. Heaphones are not part of
that. So I had to venture into another lane. This one had only electronic
components transistors, capacitors and the like).
After roaming around for what seemed to be eternity, I stumbled upon a group
of shops that had speakers and only speakers. And here, I finally found my
headphones. Its really amazing the way all the similar shops are clustered
together.
Also, if fortune pops up a nice cookie when I post these entries, I have
decided to keep them intact from now on.
--
When the bosses talk about improving productivity, they are never talking
about themselves.
An 'eye opener'
Let's say that you are teaching a class. Let's say that you are teaching Unix.
You have drawn a neat sketch of the inode-wise layout of the disk and you are
explaining the concept of the hierarchical filesystem and directories and
inodes and hard and soft links with the help of your neat diagram. Suddenly
you discover that one of the students is not getting the whole picture ...
because he can't see ... *because he is blind*.
At that moment I didn't really feel the impact because I was too engrossed in
the subject, too engrossed in teaching. But the whole thing really hit me
hard on the bus ride home. A thousand questions were raised, not many
answered.
First, about teaching - in such a situation, do you teach for the lowest
denominator or the higher one. Doing anything is going to unfair to the other
category. But in this case, the whole problem is magnified to a huge extent.
I obviously cannot rely so much on gr...
Comments