Weekends start with Friday evening. A chat with Himanshu inspired me to
write down some things related to science and DSP that I had in my mind.
I've started writing them. I'll post them here one by one as and when
I'm through with them. I'm kind of stuck with some fundas of
electromagnetic waves.
Saturday and Sunday were spent at Mahabaleshwar with my family. Man, it
was warm in the afternoons. I mean, its not supposed to be warm up
there. Not even in the afternoons. Basically, walked around quite a bit,
ate, slept and drove. I would have liked to walk a bit more actually.
Everything else went like a typical Mahabalshwar trip with the expected
dose of langurs, some animals you try hard to identify, red shoes and
socks, etc.
The trip back was not so memorable though, getting stuck in a traffic
jam for 2 hours in the Katraj Ghat.
An 'eye opener'
Let's say that you are teaching a class. Let's say that you are teaching Unix.
You have drawn a neat sketch of the inode-wise layout of the disk and you are
explaining the concept of the hierarchical filesystem and directories and
inodes and hard and soft links with the help of your neat diagram. Suddenly
you discover that one of the students is not getting the whole picture ...
because he can't see ... *because he is blind*.
At that moment I didn't really feel the impact because I was too engrossed in
the subject, too engrossed in teaching. But the whole thing really hit me
hard on the bus ride home. A thousand questions were raised, not many
answered.
First, about teaching - in such a situation, do you teach for the lowest
denominator or the higher one. Doing anything is going to unfair to the other
category. But in this case, the whole problem is magnified to a huge extent.
I obviously cannot rely so much on gr...
Comments