Skip to main content

Infosys Billion dollar day watch cockup

Well, when you want to do things that look smart, you must make sure that they
are done smartly. Coz when people realise that what you have done is smart
from the outside, and not so smart from the inside, you end up making a fool
of yourself.
Such is the case with the Infosys billion dollar day watch. For
the uninitiated, Infosys distributed a T shirt and a watch (along with a
hefty cash bonus) to all its employees on the day Infosys crossed the billion
dollar turnover mark. The watch is pretty good, looks good too. But then,
these people tried to do something really smart which unfortunately came
under my scrutiny and now, my criticism.
The watch was custom made by Titan for Infosys employees with "Infosys"
engraved on it on it on the front and back. Now, on the back, I found something
engraved in binary. So I decided to read it. Turns out, the binary reads
"001010100 01001001 001010100 001000001 01001110
0101001 01101110 01100110 01101111 01110011 01111001 01110011".

The ASCII code for this is 'TITAN )nfosys'. Noticed the cockup? The ')'
should have been a 'I'. Buggers missed out a placeholder zero somewhere. The
"0101001" should have been "01001001".
Not many must have noticed this.
But then there are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary, and those who
dont :)

Comments

The Shaolin said…
That was just too smart of you to notice it!
~AtulT

Popular posts from this blog

Affine Transform

Affine Transform The affine transform is quite simply, a piece of art. Usually when you have a linear system with 2 dimensions,
An 'eye opener' Let's say that you are teaching a class. Let's say that you are teaching Unix. You have drawn a neat sketch of the inode-wise layout of the disk and you are explaining the concept of the hierarchical filesystem and directories and inodes and hard and soft links with the help of your neat diagram. Suddenly you discover that one of the students is not getting the whole picture ... because he can't see ... *because he is blind*. At that moment I didn't really feel the impact because I was too engrossed in the subject, too engrossed in teaching. But the whole thing really hit me hard on the bus ride home. A thousand questions were raised, not many answered. First, about teaching - in such a situation, do you teach for the lowest denominator or the higher one. Doing anything is going to unfair to the other category. But in this case, the whole problem is magnified to a huge extent. I obviously cannot rely so much on gr...

Dumb and dumber

I think I gave myself the proof that my dumbness is unparalleled. There are two independent queues in our canteen for getting food coupons. After waiting in the first queue, for some reason, I decided to spend another fifteen minutes in the second one. I realised my stupid mistake when I reached the counter and the lady asked me what I wanted. I said 'nothing' and proceeded to the food counter, leaving the lady wondering what the hell had just happened. It going to be difficult to beat this act of stupidity!