Skip to main content

Ubuntu review

Over the weekend I had the chance to get hold of Ubuntu as well as the
15 CD set of Debian Sarge. Ubuntu is basically a Debian based
distribution which concentrates on the desktop. An 'apt' description of
Ubuntu would be Mandrake:RedHat::Ubuntu:Debian. Those who still need to
be told more, read on.

I have been running Mdk 10 on my Dell Inspiron 1150. I chose Mandrake
because that was the one that I expected to give the least trouble. In
the default Mandrake install, X did not work. This was a known issue
with all Linux distributions on this particular model, so I had prepared
myself by searching for a workaround that fools the BIOS. However, with
kernel 2.6 on Mandrake, ACPI did not work, the mouse (touchpad) did not
work correctly (I could not tap on it to click) and I had to revert back
to kernel 2.4 (whose sources are not present in the Mdk 10 four CD set).
So I was a bit apprehensive when I decided to wipe out Mdk 10 completely
and install Ubuntu, which I had never seen before (yeah, do such every
now and then).

The installation was pretty smooth. I did the custom disk partitioning,
used the existing Mdk partition and the installation proceeded in
typical Debian style. After everything was setup, I was ready to apply
the workaround to get X working, when X just ... worked (to my utter
surprise). When I logged in, I got a nice looking Gnome desktop. I saw
the ACPI battery monitor (ACPI worked) and I could tap on the touchpad
to do left mouse-button click (the touchpad worked). It showed me that
my wireless network card had not found any network (so the wireless card
worked out of the box!). Other things like sound, etc. that you expect
to work anyway also worked. I haven't tried out the internal modem yet.

The package selection too is really fantastic. Finally, I have seen some
common sense in this matter. Firefox is the default browser, Thunderbird
is an optional mail client (the default is Evolution). All the packages
that you would expect for desktop use are already there. And speaking of
packages, its got 'apt' :). For people who don't want to use the command
line, there is a nice GUI frontend to apt called synaptic. Much better
than what you have to put up with in Mandrake. Thats enough for anything
and everything under the sun. I also happened to get my hands on a 15 CD
set of Debian Sarge. After repeating 'apt-cdrom add' 15 times, I'm
living in a state of utopia.

So it's a definite thumbs up for Ubuntu.

Bottom line is -- 'It's Debian, it works'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Affine Transform

Affine Transform The affine transform is quite simply, a piece of art. Usually when you have a linear system with 2 dimensions,
An 'eye opener' Let's say that you are teaching a class. Let's say that you are teaching Unix. You have drawn a neat sketch of the inode-wise layout of the disk and you are explaining the concept of the hierarchical filesystem and directories and inodes and hard and soft links with the help of your neat diagram. Suddenly you discover that one of the students is not getting the whole picture ... because he can't see ... *because he is blind*. At that moment I didn't really feel the impact because I was too engrossed in the subject, too engrossed in teaching. But the whole thing really hit me hard on the bus ride home. A thousand questions were raised, not many answered. First, about teaching - in such a situation, do you teach for the lowest denominator or the higher one. Doing anything is going to unfair to the other category. But in this case, the whole problem is magnified to a huge extent. I obviously cannot rely so much on gr...

Dumb and dumber

I think I gave myself the proof that my dumbness is unparalleled. There are two independent queues in our canteen for getting food coupons. After waiting in the first queue, for some reason, I decided to spend another fifteen minutes in the second one. I realised my stupid mistake when I reached the counter and the lady asked me what I wanted. I said 'nothing' and proceeded to the food counter, leaving the lady wondering what the hell had just happened. It going to be difficult to beat this act of stupidity!